150g sourdough starter
375ml Cassels Milk Stout beer
1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1.5 teaspoon allspice
1.5 teaspoon ginger
400g peel mix or 400g dried fruit
200ml black tea
1 x egg
50g melted butter
1.5 teaspoon salt
Day 1: Mix 100g flour and 100ml water, use a spatula and stir vigorously until smooth with no clumps. Cover loosely with fabric or a lid and rest for 24 hours.
Day 2: Stir the mixture to incorporate air, cover and rest again for 24 hours.
Day 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7: In a clean bowl, add 50g starter (discard the rest) and 100g flour and 100ml water. Cover loosely and rest for 24 hours.
After one week the starter should be bubbly and active.
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water, bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved, allow to cool.
Crosses for decoration:
1/2 cup of flour
1 Tablespoon oil
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup water
Mix together, put in a piping bag and pipe onto buns before baking.
- Mix 150g sourdough starter, beer, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and 250g flour. Cover and leave overnight. (Image 1)
- Soak peel mix or dried fruit in black tea. Cover and leave overnight. Add a beaten egg and melted butter. (Image 2)
- Stir fruit mix into bread mix. Add 550g flour, sugar and salt and mix until just combined. (Image 3)
- Then follow Video 1 to fold the dough.
- Leave to prove until mixture had doubled in size. (Image 4)
- Divide dough into individual 80g balls. (Video 2) and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Pipe buns with ‘cross’ mix (Video 3)
- Bake in oven at 180°C for 30 minutes.
- Glaze with sugar syrup while hot. (Image 5)